Monday, May 7, 2012

Basketball!

Like a bullet, I dart into the front door hoping to see a bunch of little boxes. But I am only welcomed by an unusually big and long box. I call out, "I think this is the basketball!" Then I get a knife and rip it open. I stare at the big round ball smiling. Then I slowly pick it up. The basketball, all fresh and new... (That doesn't make any sense...) I threw it onto the floor expecting it to bounce up back to me, but it just collapses and rolls. Then I realize I have to take it out of the little box. Again, I rip it open with the knife. Then, the ball is in my hands. I weigh the ball, it's not so heavy. It was an official size basketball. Just perfect for me. I started to dribble the ball, dodging imaginary players, and shooting at imaginary hoops in an imaginary court. I never learned how to play basketball. I just know how. I watch all the kids who do know how to play. Since they learned basketball, they are really good. I watch their every move and practice them. Finally I have my own ball. Watching other people help a lot. I learned how to dribble, shoot, and pass. Watching is learning. Now that I have my own ball, I can practice by myself. Later, I go to the park and into the court. The court is empty, after all, it was raining 10 minutes ago. I take a deep breath and practice my moves. I bend my knees and I shoot. BANG! The ball bounces of the hoop. The hoop is higher than I thought. I move into another position and I shoot. BA-OONG! The ball hits the inside of the hoop and swirls around it like a tornado. The ball is sucked in and I dribble the ball to the other side. My mom coaches me, even though she never played basketball before. I let her try. Then I shoot more hoops. I start to get the hand of it. Soon, I am getting almost every shot. Once in a while I miss. I have to remember not to only use my elbow and shoulder like I always do. Time flies by. I have a match with my mom, (which, by the way, didn't go so well...) and I made a deal. It was to make a hoop from a specific spot. In the end, I made it. I was proud but I was coughing nonstop. Basketball is a fun sport!  

No comments:

Post a Comment