Friday, August 15, 2014

Rube Goldberg

Brett Doar has a peculiar job; create intricately designed Rube Goldberg machines. For those of you that don't know, a Rube Goldberg machine is a contraption that is overly complex and has many components that lead to something very simple. Brett Doar creates these machines for companies that use them for advertisements. Rube Goldberg machines remind me of GBC's or Great Ball Contraption, which is similar to a Rube Goldberg machine. A GBC is a cycle where you can throw balls into the start of a contraption and they go through different parts of the machine and eventually comeback to the beginning. Here is an example:
I used to really think that these machines were really cool and so I tried to make my own versions and I made new contraptions. It's a fun thing to do. I really like small, compact, and simple mechanical contraptions. They are fun to make and really neat if they have a cool design. A Rube Golberg machine takes a bunch of those and puts them together to create a big contrapion that does something. I think making Rube Goldberg machines would be a fun but painstakingly difficult job.

No comments:

Post a Comment