Saturday, August 2, 2014

Crime

It's not just once in a while that I hear about an innocent man coming out of jail for a long period of time. These people haven't done anything except be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This reminds me of the time when I was wrongly accused of "bullying" a younger child when I did not do anything. At the time, the only proof that the vice principal had that my friend and I had bullied this child was from the child's mouth. The child claimed to have been bullied by me and my friend multiple times, although we barely even knew this kid. The vice principal, didn't even listen to what we had to say, and the next thing we knew, we were in big trouble. Although jail, and just getting in trouble, has a very big difference, I don't think that it's that different. People can be sentenced to death innocently. John McCormick is a 63 year old man who was shot and killed July 26, 1978. The prime suspect was Santae Tribble, a seventeen year old boy. An FBI agent matched his hair with some of the hair found at the scene of the crime. He was sentenced to 23 years of prison. But in 2003 it was proved that the hairs in the crime scene were not even close to Santae Tribble's hair. In fact, some of the hairs, were dog hairs. Sloppy forensics, can lead to innocent deaths and innocent people being wrongly accused. The crime lab of St. Paul, Minnesota was revealed to use dirty equipment, have operators who did not know much science at all, and had illegible reports. Although things are slowly getting better, I hope that the police will be able to save innocent lives quickly, because I know how it feels to be wrongly accused.

No comments:

Post a Comment