Sunday, August 17, 2014

Perfect Pitch

I didn't know I was perfect pitch until I was in 5th grade. My sister and I were just playing around the piano, tapping keys and I just blurted out the notes she was playing without looking. She stopped and looked at me. She claimed that I was perfect pitch and that I had the ability to hear a tone and tell what note it is. I had thought all along that anybody was able to do it, because I was able to do it all my life, and so when my sister couldn't do it, I was rather surprised. Only 1 in 10,000 people have perfect pitch. That's amazing. I never knew that and I feel quite proud of myself now, for being the 1 in 10,000 people that has perfect pitch. Perfect pitch is usually acquired at the age of 4-6 which makes kind of sense since I started learning piano at the age of 5. But study shows that a pill used as a mood stabilizer also allows people to recognize notes better. The name of the drug is Valproate. Not only does this drug allow you to become better at recognizing notes, it also helps people learn a second language. Learning a second language or being perfect pitch all starts when you are young, but the drug Valproate restores the plasticity of an adult brain to a juvenile state. Making adults to be able to do things that kids can do. Even though this drug can do good for other people, although this sounds selfish, it kind of makes me sad that now that all the things I can do, are now becoming something that anybody can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment