Friday, August 24, 2012

Earning Trust


The one thing that I hate a lot, is when people don't trust me. For example, when I tell the truth to someone who asks a question, they don't believe me. I get really frustrated when this happens. But I can't do anything. They made up their mind to not trust me. So I learned that you must earn their trust at a camp from 4 weeks ago... When I finally arrived at camp, I saw clumps of people together, chattering about something. They were all laughing and having fun, I felt alone. I did not know anyone, but they all seemed to know each other. The laughter died out as one by one other kids came in. I was nervous about what other kids would think of me. But I became confident when I realized we were doing Lego Mindstorms, something I have at home. Another kid had it at home too. When we were working on the project, there was one kid who popped out a bit. He did most of the building and he just made us get the pieces. I wanted to help, but he wouldn't let me. The first day passed by quickly. But that kid was still troubling me. As the second day past and the third day came, they decided to not trust me. The kid, James decided that none of my ideas would work and that he was the boss. My head boiled and exploded and boiled. The next day something inside me erupted. When I got home, I started working hard on a robot. I kept on trying and I didn't stop. The ideas that were crammed in my head were just flowing out. After many hours, I went downstairs and got the computer. I got the USB and I started programming. I ended up sleeping at 1:00. But still I slept very well. The next morning. I got my box with my robot inside and marched into the room full of the kids. I came before James on purpose. A kid in my group noticed the box and asked what was inside. Then I smiled and pulled out, The Claw Tank. My teammates' eyes grew big as I pulled out my robot. Then I picked up the remote control and pressed the power button. Then I pressed my button on the remote control and went for a test run. It went smoothly. I knew I earned their trust. But now I needed James to trust me. They were prancing around saying that we were going to win when James walked in. They scrambled over and explained that I made this amazing robot. James seemed a little grumpy when he saw it. I showed him the robot. Suddenly he sat down and started making a robot. I guessed that he was jealous. This meant I had their trust. This was all I wanted, nothing more. I didn't care if I won or lost the contest. But I did anyway.
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES.
 
When those eyes see something, they chomp
Top view

Remote control

full robot

if set to red when you press the button the robot goes forward. if blue the robot goes backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment